Jamaican Ground Beef Hand Pies Recipe
Jamaican Ground Beef Hand Pies
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 3 tsp ReggaeSpice Jamaican Jerk Sweet and Sassy instant wet marinade ** ( 2 tsp Hot and Spicy can be substituted for some added heat! )
- dash of ReggaeSpice Booyah Jamaican Seasoning
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 a sweet potato diced
- Optional - 1 Jalapeno (deseeded) /habanero/scotch bonnet diced
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pack of premade pie dough
** feel free to substitute ground beef for for any preferred plant based meat or lean protein (ground turkey/chicken etc) - make it your own!
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prep baking pan by lining with parchment paper. set pan aside.
2. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add onions, garlic, peppers and sweet potato; cover and cook until potato is tender. Stir in your ReggaeSpice instant wet marinade, water, flour, baking powder. Heat through. Add a dash of Booyah Jamaican seasoning to taste. Cover and refrigerate for 30 min to 1 hour. Allow filling to be significantly cool before adding to your pie dough.
2. While filling cools, prepare your pie dough.
Be sure to follow package instructions for properly handling your pre-made dough. Cut pie crust into circles ( using a cup, biscuit cutter or any round template you have handy in the kitchen ) depending on desired serving size of your hand pies.
You'll need two circles per pie, one for both top and bottom crusts - about a 5 inch diameter per crust circle should be enough - however big your hand pies are be sure to allow at least an inch on the edge of the dough to seal your pies.
3. Once dough circles are cut and prepped, and filling is cool - its time to fill your pies! Top one of your pie crust circles with about 1/3 cup of the meat mixture. Place another dough circle over filling; seal edges together by crimping together with a fork dipped in flour; pierce the top with your fork to allow for steam to escape as the pie cooks - repeat the process until all your pies have been filled and formed!
** pro tip - brushing an egg wash over the top of your crusts before baking will give you a beautiful golden brown shine! This is is an optional step but one that is sure to impress!
4. Bake on ungreased baking sheet at 375 degrees for 12 -14 minutes until golden brown
Click here to view all of what Reggae Spice Company has to offer!